Customizable Navigation Bar

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Updated Videos and The Draw Call Minimizer

Hey guys! So if you have noticed in my older posts, I had multiple videos for the same tutorial. This was because Youtube has a limit of 15 minutes for videos for most people. Youtube recently lifted this limit, so I decided to upload the full videos for your convenience. All of my previous tutorials now have one embedded video instead of multiple ones, and now on my Youtube channel any video over 15 minutes is no longer separated into different parts. Yay!

Something else that has recently happened was I received an email from Unity today. I was informed that one of my assets was approved for sale on the Unity Asset Store!

What this tool does is combine meshes and textures at runtime so that the GPU only needs to make one draw call instead of multiple ones. It is an improved version of the Unity CombineMesh utility.

What is different from my tool and Unity's tool, is that what the Unity CombineMesh utility is it creates a combined mesh for each separate object and texture and in the script it actually recommends that objects share textures whenever possible to reduce draw calls. What my tool does is create a texture atlas so that all of the textures are shared and instead of having multiple draw calls for every texture, there is one. This is all done at run time as well so there is no increase in the amount of assets that you need to create.

The Draw Call Minimizer comes with an example project. This example project comes with about 6 or so models each with their own texture. Without the Draw Call Minimizer the scene has a couple hundred draw calls. After using my tool, that is reduced to one draw call with zero batched. The only thing that this tool does is take a second or tool to do its work as soon as the level is loaded.

If you want to take a look at my tool, or perhaps purchase it for your project you can look at it here, at 5 bucks, it is ridiculously cheap compared to a lot of the tool on that Asset Store, and is very useful considering the price.

http://u3d.as/content/purdyjo/draw-call-minimizer/2FW

Anyways, a video showing off the tool will be coming up tomorrow hopefully and I am also going to be showing off an alpha build of my mesh splitting tool as well!

Keep coding! and follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/purdyjo