Customizable Navigation Bar

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

All Coded Out Today

Well guys I had some free time today, so I decided I'd get into some more hardcore coding. My mission today was to create a mesh fracturing tool, something that is much more work than I had originally thought it would be. I spent a good 4 hours on it today, and have nothing special to show for it.

I'm building this mesh fracturing tool in two parts. By this I don't mean that I am separating it into sections, I mean that I will be building it twice; Once to get it working, a quick and dirty prototype, and once to get it working more efficiently and properly using Voronoi and Delaunay Triangulations.

The way I have it set up currently is that it goes through the current mesh and adds random points within it, then regenerating triangles between the mesh and the new added points. The problem that I seem to be running into is that, I create the new mesh with all of the generated fragments, they all have the proper Mesh Renderers and Mesh Filters attached, but when the fractured mesh as actually instantiated into the world, there is nothing visible. Now it's not the fact that the normals are wrong, because I've already checked that, and I've gone through basically every option I can think of right at this moment, but I think I just need a break from it. Coming back to this with a fresh brain will probably help.

Other than that, the sound effects have come in, so the editing will happen shortly and the platformer will be 100% complete soon. I'll be putting it on Kongregate and letting the public test it, so hopefully any lasting bugs will be short lived.

On top of that I'm in the process of getting the next 5 tutorials completed all based on the ones listed in the Platformer's page at the bottom.

Last but not least, me and a buddy have started on a project, and I have been building a prototype of it. I will be creating a video showing the quick and dirty prototype I've built. It's been built basically in a couple of hours but in short it's a twist on the common Tower Defense games that I think will be refreshing and nice to see.

As you can see there's quite a few things I have planned over the next little while. This is all on top of working two jobs, one stupid one with 35-44 hours a week, and another which is teaching business math at the college near where I live. I'm also moving at the end of the month so I need to prepare for that as well, but who needs sleep anyways right?

Anyhow, I'm going to get back at it, something at least, maybe the prototype, maybe a tutorial, but definitely not the mesh fracturing tool for a bit, I've had a but too much of that for one day. Happy Coding!